Brett's apartment mailing address:

3712 Howard Dr. Apt # 18
McAllen, TX
78503



Brett's mission office address:

Texas McAllen Mission
Attn: Elder Brett Mecham
200 West La Vista Ave.
McAllen, TX 78501







Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hola!
 
Has it really been an entire week?? It has honestly felt like it's been one long long DAY since last Tuesday. We finish our planning at 9:30 and head back to our dorms, and after I change out of my clothes and sit down at my desk, it's already 10:15. It's crazy. And then by 10:30 I'm in bed with lights out and about a minute or two later, my alarm is going off and it's 6:15 a.m. Ahhhhhh.
 
But in all honesty, I am getting plenty of sleep and I have tons of energy each day. The days are long, and really short at the same time. There are so many things that I want to do each day but there just doesn't seem like there is enough time. I've been focusing a lot more on doctrinal studies during personal time and that's been a big help to me. I love having the oppurtunity to devote so much time to scripture study. It's so much better and worthwhile than just reading a couple chapters at night. One of my teachers, Hermano Painter, is incredibly knowledgable and everytime we have questions, we ask him and he always seems to have the answer. He just got back from his mission a couple months ago too. My other teacher, Hermano Dangerfield, is totally awesome too. He focuses more on the language study.
 
The TRC went pretty well this week. This was the situation: We were new missionaries to the area and we were scheduled to meet with some investigators, a husband and wife. They were moving though so we had to go there and offer to help them move. (This was to help us with home/family vocabulary) After helping them move their furniture and appliances (little laminated pieces of paper), we started to teach them about the Plan of Salvation. Although, we ended up asking them questions about their Book of Mormon reading and their daily prayers. After discussing this for a while, we finished our visit with the Palabra de Sabiduria (Word of Wisdom). They were asking a lot of questions and it was great practice for Elder Dickson and I to be able to listen to their questions and answer them. My other experiences at the TRC were much easier because it consisted mostly of just teaching from our lesson plan. This time, we had to answer whatever questions they had, so it really tested our knowledge of the language. I asked them what we could do to help them keep the PdS and they were like, "I don't know. What can we do?" And I didn't know what to say at first but I ended up saying, "Pues, usted puede poner su te en la basura." They both started laughing really hard. Not at me though! With me, because it was funny. I told them, "well, you can put your tea in the garbage." And, I pointed to the garbage can when I said it. The investigators were Alexandria and Cesar, and they were both totally awesome people. After we finished our lesson, they asked where we were going on our missions, and her uncle is a stake president in Tampico and she has some family in Monterrey. She was totally excited that we were both going to Mexico.
 
Hmmm...
I'm trying to think of what else to say. Other than the TRC, it's just been a lot of classroom instruction and personal study time.
 
Creo que voy a hablar mas en espanol en mis emails. Es dificil en la computadora porque no hay simbolos y las palabras les parecen extrano. Y, necesito mas tiempo para saber como escribirlos.
 
Tengo menos de un minuto!!
 
I love you all a ton! Thanks for all your letters, packages, and massive amounts of goodies! My companion, roommates, and I are all very grateful!
 
Con amor,
Elder Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment